Thursday, October 4, 2012

Approximately 4 months ago I had a horrible experience with choking after taking just one bite of a riblet at Red Robin.  Being that I am the driver when with my Mom, I knew I didn't want to alarm her....but I tell you, my mind was flooded with thoughts of, "I am going to pass out right here from the fact that I cannot breathe!"   My face turned crimson red and I tried to smile while holding up my finger implying, I'll be okay in a moment.   Fortunately, after getting up and getting some air outdoors I was able to regain control of my air and while exhausted...explained to Mom that this wasn't the first time.   For the next several weeks this occurred over and over.  I kept a journal thinking that it had to do with foods I was eating, Maybe an adult onset allergic reaction?  But  over the weeks I noticed no similarities. The breaking point was our trip to The Great Smoky Mountains.  With each meal for three days I would end up with chronic choking, sweating profusely and ultimately ending up in the bathroom or on the side of the road vomiting until I could catch my breath.  Mom and Connie threatening to take me to the local Emergency Room....So....to gastroenterology I went.   Below is an update I shared on Facebook.  I was overwhelmed at the outpouring of comments from friends!                                                        

 Understand that I have to see my physician monthly for my MS when it's in the middle of a flareup and then I have a monthly visit for trigger point injections for my spine....So, that's a minimum of 2 days a month at the Dr's and not counting home health care visits.   Going to another physician is NOT on my top ten favorite lists!!  First of all the majority of Diagnosis' are this, "Well, you know this could be due to your Multiple Sclerosis."   UGH....NOT everything is connected to my MS!!  I swore I was going to pay out-of-pocket for a new Dr, obtain a complete physical and not disclose my MS just to see the outcome!!   lol  
anyhoo....here's as brief a summary as I could write to let everyone know my outcome:   

FIRST OFF:  THANK YOU ALL FOR THE COMMENTS, PRAYERS and CALLS!  WOW...I HEARD FROM FRIENDS I HAVEN'T SPOKEN TO IN YEARS!!!  YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME FOR LIFTING MY SPIRITS!!  JUST WHAT THE DR NEEDS TO ORDER FOR HEALING, (POSITIVE COMMENTS ON FB!!)  had to say that since FB gets such a bad rap all the time!!  
SO.....Here's yesterday update:  I went for a routine EGD due to swallowing/severe choking issues in the past few months.  We found that my esophagus had closed/swollen to the mere size of a pencil when it is normally the size of a quarter.  (No wonder I couldn't swallow!)  There was lots of acid/blood but no hernia/ulcers. YIPPEE~~
 However, with my blood-counts have been all out of wack he is quite certain I have Autoimmune Gastritis/Pernicious Anemia.  Very common for those with autoimmune diseases such as MS, Lupus, RA, Hypothyroidism but anyone can "have it".  The anemia occurs when the stomach can no longer absorb vitamin B12 and other factors and can lead to stomach cancer.   SOOOOOO......biopsy's were taken.   When he looked at my stomach there was lots of "old blood" as well as infection that appears to be Menetrier's disease which causes protein loss.   (This explains my inability to lose more weight with all the exercising..it in fact can cause one to gain because you can't process/digest food correctly)  Hope I restated that right!  SOOOOOO.......I get to go back on Tuesday for a complete colonoscopy/GI series with more biopsy's to rule out the Big C!  I'm all for preventative medicine!!!   
FRIENDS:  PLEASE, PLEASE DO YOUR ROUTINE CHECKS!!  Some people have different ideas of medicine and the medical field...but when it comes to PREVENTION FOR CANCER ANY AND EVERYONE SHOULD DO THE SIMPLE TEST!!  I may have MS but I am so fortunate I am alive, walking, talking!! God knew I would endure this the day he created me and it's my responsibility to stay faithful and strong and make a positive impact.  It has opened my eyes to many things!!
  That old saying, "You never know until you've walked in someone else's shoes"   Well.....those shoes are now mine and I'm standing strong in them and I refuse to let it get me down.  WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS LIKE I HAVE HOW COULD I GET DOWN???  I LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!  THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR BRIGHTENING MY DAYS  from a simple "HI" or playing my "silly games" here on FB.   I AM ONE BLESSED LADY! MUCH LOVE and YES I'M TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE I'M SHOUTING THIS!!!  :) 
****To my Stephanie Staats, THANK YOU for being there yesterday on your day off and for patiently waiting for 6 hours with a toddler!! I know the Dr's bedside manner is a little strange and he overloaded you with a lot of scary information but I'm so lucky to have you!! 







No comments:

Google malware manager